I'll show you how I made my Halloweenie wreath instead!
I saw this on Pinterest and HAD to make it. But in my own style. You'll need a wreath {I used a large plastic wrapped straw wreath from Hobby Lobby, 40% off, of course}, ribbon in whatever color you want, black lace, and whatever decorations you'd like to put on it.
{Yes, my workspace is on the carpet in the living room}
I was in Target over the weekend and saw the purple glittler BOO sign in the $1 section and thought it would be cute on the wreath.. And while walking around HobLob, I wandered into the Christmas section and saw that they had some purple frilly stuff. Yes, please. I picked up 3. And some ribbon.. I found that the wedding section ribbon in HobLob was a better bang for your buck.. So check that out before you buy. And I got a spool of lace.. LOTS of lace left over, so who knows what I'll end up doing with that.
Good thing I had some purple ribbon as a back up! This is what I like to call a happy accident. I completed wrapping the wreath in purple ribbon, overlapping a little of the orange just to make it look like I meant for it to happen!
See? Totally meant for that to happen. What I didn't mean to happen was wrapping it backwards. Yep, you're looking at the flat side of the wreath, the side that's meant to go against the door. I thought about starting over, but I really didn't want to. My back was hurting already. Did I mention my work space is on the ground? I really need a craft room..
And here's what the "back" looks like with the straight pins. I was going to hot glue but I really didn't feel like burning myself and this just seemed so much easier. And it was. I didn't even prick myself, either! LOL!
Anyway, after you're done fixing {and not fixing} your "mistake," wrap the wreath in the black lace. The spool I found was about 6 inches wide.. I was expecting it to be a hassle to wrap but it surprisingly wasn't whatsoever. Hubby must have gotten home around this time because I definitely didn't take any pictures of that happening. My bad.
I also didn't take any pictures of me taking those frilly things apart. They kinda of reminded me of a bundle of flowers, where you can pull off each flower/leaf.. Each one had 5 parts to it, so I was left with 15 little frilly things to work with. I pushed them through the lace along the purple ribbon to add a little dimension and sparkle. I really like the way it turned out!
But I felt like it needed something more. So I added the BOO sign. I didn't attach it, all I did was tie a little knot in the hangy thing that it was already attached to, hung that on the hook and hung the wreath on top of it.
There, now it looks a little more "finished," yes? I likey. For a last minute thing, I definitely thought this DIY was simple and lots of fun. But not on my back.. I hunched over the whole time like an idiot. Note to self: Get massage.
And here's what our front "porch" looks like all decorated.
Yes, that IS Christmas tree thingies.. I needed something with height and they were sitting all alone in the garage begging to be put back out. I have some silver and black ornaments from the wedding that I think I'll add to them. They light up, too, so it'll look like I did it on purpose {the trees light up, not the ornaments}. Don't you just love when things like that happen? And don't mind the extension cord on the ground or the cord hanging from the backwards ghosts butt, it looks better at night when you can't see all that nonsense.
Aaand that's it. Hope you liked this little tutorial! It makes me want to make more ribbon wrapped wreaths now.. So, so easy and really pretty. Who knows, maybe one will appear for Thanksgiving.




I've already been thinking about a Thanksgiving wreath. I just dont know what I wanna do!
ReplyDelete@Victoria Gayle
ReplyDeleteHaha.. I have a fall one that I hung up in August that I was just going to put back up after Halloween. Maybe we'll have to search Pinterest for ideas! LOL!