3.22.2012

{broadways the lion king}

I've never been to New York much less seen a Broadway show, so when I hear that The Lion King was going to be in New Orleans, I begged and begged and begged to go. I didn't think my cries were being heard until I opened up my present for our one year wedding anniversary. The traditional gift is paper and my thoughtful husband gifted me tickets to see The Lion King! Tickets = paper! {I got him Compendium One of The Walking Dead. Huuuge book.}

And that was back in December of last year. Fast forward 3 months and I was getting ready to see the show!



I looove this dress from Target. I bought it to go to a wedding and decided to try it out for this outing first. Not to self, definitely wear tights under it- When I sit, it's short! Otherwise, it's awesome for a New Orleans Spring night! I wanted to wear mint green jewelry with it, but I couldn't find just what I was looking for so I did the next best thing- Coral. I found this awesome necklace on clearance at Khols but didn't see earrings that matched so I trekked to Charming Charlies where, again, nothing. Until I spotted a pair of earrings that could work, but needed a little fixing. Tutorial coming soon!

The drive there is a little over an hour for us. I was SO excited. We got there about an hour early- We didn't know exactly where we were going, so we wanted to be sure we had enough time to get lost if need be. Luckily, as soon as we got off the Interstate, hubs knew exactly where we were. His dad used to be a fireman at the firehouse across the street from the theater.




Since we had a good amount of time before the show- before they were even letting people into the theater, we just figured we would hang out in front for a while. Then we turned around and saw the grounds.. So, so pretty! I don't know if I've ever seen New Orleans look so nice! I heard that the theater was in a not so safe part of town, but from the looks of it, I would have never guessed it. {That is, until we turned the corner and saw what they were talking about!}



Ooh, my DIY earrings are peeking through.



That's Louis Armstrong. The park was named for him.















There was a homeless man sleeping in that bridge.



Hubs and I both loved these townhouses. So colorful. That's the very edge of the French Quarter. I can't remember the street name, though.







 
There are so many of those lamp posts around the park- I bet it's really pretty at night.



So gorgeous. I wanted to reach out and touch it. 



You're not supposed to take pictures in the theater, but I figured it would be ok since the show hadn't started yet. We were on the third floor, but still had good seats. I don't think there's a bad seat in there, though! 




Yay! 


The show was absolutely amazing. Neither of us had any idea what to expect as we had never seen a musical like this before. Rafiki was by far my favorite performer. Followed closely by Zazu- He was hilarious! And they even made a few New Orleans references, too! But the lady who plays Rafiki, my God she can sing! I got chills every time she belted one out. And the opening scene, AMAZING. I wanted soo bad to take out my camera! But I didn't see anyone else with a camera {yes, I was looking..} and I didn't want to be the only fool stupid enough to try to get a picture. It was incredible, though. 
 
It was roughly 3 hours long including a 30 minute intermission. The playbill said it was a 15 minute intermission, so I didn't bother getting up to go potty or anything seeing as by the time I got to the restroom and stood in line, those 15 minutes would be up, but it ended up being 30 minutes. Good thing I didn't have to potty! Haha. Otherwise, the time flew by. 
 
They stayed pretty close to the movie, too. The way they depicted the scene where Mufasa appears in the night sky was one of my favorite parts of the show. That was really cool. 
 
I could talk about the show for hours!! But I won't.. Just go see it yourself! I swear, it's completely worth the ticket price. It's such an incredible experience!
 
Wicked is coming Summer 2013 and I've already stared the begging for that one. Hubs has WAY more than enough time to purchase them!
 
 
 
 
 
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Have a comment or question? Let me know.