11.11.2011

{let's get naked}

First off, where have I been? Work has been busy for me, the first week of the month usually is with month end billing and to top it off, I'm sick. Yesterday I woke up feeling like crap and it's only gone down hill from there. I got a flu shot over a month ago so I know it's not the flu. So for now, me and Zicam are bff's. Along with Chloroseptic and vitamin c orange lozenges. Yay to the sniffles and endless sneezes.

Anyway. Naked. Yes, let's get naked. Ok, ok, I'll explain. Urban Decay released a palette last year called the Naked Palette and I have been lusting over it since. I couldn't convince myself to spend $50 on eye shadows, especially when I had dupes for the majority of them {or so I thought..}. Then Ulta went and mailed me a 20% off coupon that can be used on the more expensive stuff in the store and I pretty much ran to Ulta the next day. Ok, I lie, it took me a few days to convince myself that I needed this. So instead of paying $50, I paid $40. Which, if you think about it, is the price of TWO single eye shadows from Urban Decay. Of which I own one, X, and I LOVE that shade!! I wear it all the time!



{Ooh, pretty packaging!}



{12 GORGEOUS shades!}


Look at all those gorgeous, buttery neutrals! All my favorite colors in one palette. The quality of these shadows really are amazing. The ONLY two that I have a little trouble with are the third and fifth shades, Naked and Buck, but that's because they're matte shades and I rarely wear matte unless it's to blend out the crease a little. I love me some satin and shimmer finishes!




Virgin is a shimmery champagne shade. Great for all over the lid for a 5 minute face or even as a brow or cheek highlight when paired with other shades. 
Sin is one of my favorite shades in the bunch and is a slightly pinky champagne shade. This paired with Toasted is the look I go to most.
Naked is a matte medium/light brown. Not too sure how to work with this one just yet, but I'm playing with it! 
Sidecar is another favorite. It's a metallic taupe with a great satin finish. Another great all over lid shade.



{Sorry for the overlap, I apparently suck at picture taking..} 


Buck is the other matte shade and it is a deeper brown.  I really gotta learn how to use matte shades.
Half Baked is part of the reason I got this palette. It's a gorgeous brown/copper color that I was going to get as a single but couldn't justify the $17 price tag, especially when I could get the entire set. More on that later.





Smog may look a little weird in the pan, but on the eyelid, it's such a pretty dark bronzey copper shade. It's very complex and tends to change color depending on the light. Love this color.
Darkhorse is a deep shimmery brown with gold flecks. Love this as a an outer V, crease shade.
Toasted is the other half of the reason I got this palette. SUCH a pretty color that I just could not find a dupe for. I have a few similar shades, but nothing quite as pretty. Sounds weird, but this browned pink shade is my favorite of the bunch.




Hustle is another great outer V, crease shade. It's a dark brown with almost purple undertones. Definitely not your typical dark brown.
Creep is a blueish black shimmer that works awesome as an eyeliner/outer V shade. It'll deepen up any shade perfectly and I tend to reach for it just for that.
Gunmetal is another great shade to deepen up the look with it's blueish grey almost black yumminess. I own nothing like this shade so I'm glad it's here. 




Yep, I suck at swatching, too. But I suppose it gives you a good enough idea as to how awesome this palette is. Click the picture to enlarge it and see for yourself. I put down a thin layer of Urban Decay Primer Potion {which comes with the palette {!!!} but I already have a bottle.} to swatch these, but they still have great color payoff without it. I like to get the most out of the more expensive shadows, haha, so if I'm getting all dolled up {meaning, actually putting on foundation instead of just powder} I'm going to use primer. Face and eye. Anyway, the payoff is completely amazing and I am so, so, so glad I forced myself into buying this. I can only lust after something for so long before I have to make it mine. 

When the palette first came out, it was including a double ended eye liner in zero and whiskey. I was so sad to find out that they are no longer producing that specific combo and are now including a crappy "eye shadow" brush {that's supposedly worth $25!} in the set. It's more like a concealer brush, or maybe even a cream eye shadow brush.. But powder shadow? Not gonna work out for ya. I haven't used it. Don't know if I ever will. But it still looks pretty sitting in my bucket o' brushes. 
As I mentioned earlier, single shadows are $17 a pop. Containing 12 {full sized} shadows, this should retail for $204! Getting it for $40 is like buying 2 shadows and getting 10 free. I'm ok with that. And these babies are housed in a solid, very luxe feeling palette. The outside is almost a velvet texture and though it tends to be attracted to fuzzies, they're easily wiped off. I wouldn't say to intentionally drop this, but I would almost feel safe just in case it did happen, the case is pretty sturdy and would be very travel friendly. I'll let you know when I travel with it.. Note to self: Must travel soon.

If you'd like to see a professional review, go HERE and check her's out. I subscribe to that blog and she's the reason I lust after all this expensive stuff. I wish Dior wasn't so expensive, I want that stuff so badly! Cannot justify it. Cannot justify it.. Cannot justify iiiit. Haha. Oh, what a never ending battle this beauty thing is.







2 comments:

  1. I have been dabating buying this myself. I used a friends when we went on vacation this summer and loved it but i dont wear a lot of neutral shades. Thats the only thing that would stop be from buying it. BUT... i just made up my christmas list for mike (yes i do this every year, haha!) and i put it on there! Im just gonna take the plunge :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Victoria Gayle

    I swear, it's totally worth it! Look at it like I did, it's the price of 2 single shadows! Even at $50, it's still a really great deal. You'll get use out of it.. Even though it's neutral shades, you can build on them and add in shades from other palettes.

    And no worries about the Christmas list thing, Danny is SO excited to make one. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Have a comment or question? Let me know.